[Dovecot] Using saslauthd with dovecot

Marcus Rueckert rueckert at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Sat Oct 21 18:19:30 UTC 2006

On 2006-10-21 13:07:30 -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> On Saturday 21 October 2006 10:18, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
>
> > On 2006-10-21 07:53:05 -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > > FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE
> > > Postfix-2.4-20061006
> > > Dovecot-1.0.rc7
> > >
> > > I am using 'saslauthd -a sasldb -c' for authentication with Postfix.
> > > Since Dovecot and Postfix are using the same users and passwords, I was
> > > wondering if it would be possible to use this mechanism with Dovecot
> > > also.
> >
> > even better. you can tell postfix to authenticate against dovecot.
> > http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_dovecot
>
> I am aware of that; however, that is not what I am looking for.

if dovecot has its own sasl daemon ... why should we link cyrus-sasl in
it, so we can talk to cyrus saslauthd? the idea of the dovecot sasl
implementation was: Getting rid of cyrus-sasl.

that said ... using dovecot as sasl server for postfix is an option
using saslauthd as a backend for dovecot will not work.

although ... maybe through pam ... dunno if that is something you really
want.

    darix

--
           openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux