[Dovecot] 1.0rc10 proxy memory usage problem

Laurent Papier papier at sdv.fr
Tue Oct 24 08:55:47 UTC 2006

Hi,
I have a rather large dovecot setup (4 proxy only servers and 21 IMAP/POP3
servers) in production for 3 days now.

The memory usage on my proxy servers only grows over time. It looks like a
memory leak somewhere in dovecot. I have a RRD graph available on demand.

Any advise on the configuration ?
Timo, I have strace a process before the manual restart. If it can help just ask for.

My configuration : Linux kernel 2.6. I use MySQL as authentication back-end.

# dovecot --version
1.0.rc10
# dovecot --build-options
Build options: ioloop=epoll notify=dnotify ipv6 openssl
SQL drivers: mysql
Passdb: checkpassword pam passwd passwd-file shadow sql
Userdb: checkpassword passwd prefetch passwd-file sql static

----- config -----
protocols = pop3 imap
disable_plaintext_auth = no
ssl_disable = yes
login_process_size = 128
login_process_per_connection = no
login_processes_count = 16
login_max_connections = 512
login_greeting = ready
auth_cache_size = 32768
auth_cache_ttl = 1800
auth_worker_max_count = 30
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  # Userdb settings are not used with proxy but there need to be something.
  userdb static {
    args = static uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/dev/null
  }
  passdb sql {
    args = /etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
  }