[Dovecot] Unsolved : mbox-sync-rewrite.c : assertion failed

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Tue Oct 24 18:11:43 UTC 2006

Some days ago I  wrote about an inaccessible mailbox after an upgrade
from 0.99.14 to 1.0rc10.
Today I get this problem with another mailbox but it seems to be it is
not only related to the upgrade :

- user comes back from holiday, does not see his inbox :

dovecot: Oct 24 18:51:09 Error: IMAP(abcd): file mbox-sync-rewrite.c:
line 405 (mbox_sync_read_and_move): assertion failed: (need_space ==
(uoff_t)-mails[idx].space)

(he accessed it last with the old dc version)

Solution : moving account to other server, copy everything over to the
old account and it worked.
This is what I did and afterwards the mailbox was readable.

Now the user goes back to his PC (I made my work from another machine)
and opens his mailclient (with the still existing account) and BINGO
dovecot crashes again on the mailbox as berfore. Once ist has crashed on
it, it than crashes always, even if you make a new account or remove the
index. So I suppose it has rather to do with cached information in the
client than with the upgrade itself. But nothing the client sends should
be able to crash the server !

Hoping for an idea,

Jakob Curdes