[Dovecot] Status of Shared Folders?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 24 20:43:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 12:31 -0700, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On October 24, 2006 7:47:52 PM +0300 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 12:33 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> >> Having per-user read/unread flags will be a very nice bonus, but I don't
> >> see anything about support for those...
> >
> > That works too, as long as you set the index file path to be different
> > for each user, ie. something like:
> >
> > location = maildir:/var/public/Maildir:INDEX=%h/.shared-indexes
>
> hmm, so in this case the indexes are critical information?

Yes, the seen-flag state in them is critical information then.

I was thinking about making the index file code more resistant to simply
giving up and rebuilding the index, so that it would try to preserve the
flag state as long as possible. Actually I don't think it has happened
to pretty much anyone with the current code. But still theoretically it
could use a few more fixes. :) This is also useful for dbox if it's
being run in "keep flags/keywords only in index files" mode (I guess
this option could just as well be added for mbox/maildir if someone
wants).

> whereas
> otherwise I thought they could be safely destroyed or removed if
> corrupted.  eg, i just moved my mail server from 32-bit x86 to 64-bit
> sparc and had to destroy all indexes.

Maybe I'll also some day write code that will automatically convert the
endianess correctly. :) At least for the important fields (header, uid,
flags, keywords) and drop all the rest.