[Dovecot] Replying to list [was: Re: P0P3 problems]

Jasper Bryant-Greene jasper at albumltd.co.nz
Tue Oct 24 23:02:54 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 15:54 -0400, Nick wrote:
>>    BTW:  If you CC the list as well as send your reply to my address, I get
>>          two copies.  Just reply to the list....
>
> Some people want to be Ccd (especially those who aren't joined to the
> list), and some don't, so I think Reply-to-all is the best default
> behavior when you don't know what the sender wants.
>
> You can anyway change this by setting Reply-To header point to the list.
> Easiest way to do that is to go to:

> "Unsubscribe or edit options" -> "Set Reply-To header to list?" ->
> "Yes".
>
> This isn't a standard mailman feature, but my own addition.

IMHO, this should be up to the recipient rather than the sender. I sure
don't want my incoming list mail having it's return address munged, as
it can cause me to accidentally send messages intended for one recipient
to a public list.

At the same time, at least you've made it conditional (even if it is,
IMHO, the wrong way!) So many lists I'm on just force it on everyone :(

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Director

jasper at albumltd.co.nz