[Dovecot] Replying to list [was: Re: P0P3 problems]

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Wed Oct 25 02:08:36 UTC 2006

On October 25, 2006 11:02:54 AM +1300 Jasper Bryant-Greene
<jasper at albumltd.co.nz> wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 15:54 -0400, Nick wrote:
>>>    BTW:  If you CC the list as well as send your reply to my address, I
>>>    get two copies.  Just reply to the list....
>>
>> Some people want to be Ccd (especially those who aren't joined to the
>> list), and some don't, so I think Reply-to-all is the best default
>> behavior when you don't know what the sender wants.
>>
>> You can anyway change this by setting Reply-To header point to the list.
>> Easiest way to do that is to go to:

>> "Unsubscribe or edit options" -> "Set Reply-To header to list?" ->
>> "Yes".
>>
>> This isn't a standard mailman feature, but my own addition.
>
> IMHO, this should be up to the recipient rather than the sender. I sure
> don't want my incoming list mail having it's return address munged, as
> it can cause me to accidentally send messages intended for one recipient
> to a public list.

I'd disagree with that.  (I'm sure there are as many opinions as
subscribers.)  Why should I have to get 2 replies from "you" because
you prefer not to have the return address munged?  Rather, if you
are worried about this problem, get an email client that handles
this better (like Mulberry).

Anyway, about the double reply, the correct way to fix that of course
is to use a msg-id cache.  Or a single-store imap server like courier. :-)

-frank