[Dovecot] Replying to list [was: Re: P0P3 problems]

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 25 09:48:19 UTC 2006

On 25.10.2006, at 5.07, Marshal Newrock wrote:

>> "Unsubscribe or edit options" -> "Set Reply-To header to list?" ->
>> "Yes".
>>
>> This isn't a standard mailman feature, but my own addition.
>
> There is a standard mailman option "Avoid duplicate copies of
> messages"
> which, if set and you are cc'd on a message, Mailman will not send you
> a copy.  This could be turned on by default (nodupes in the admin
> interface).

I don't like that option. It has two problems:

1) The message that gets through doesn't go through mailman, so it
lacks the List-ID header and others. That breaks filtering to the
list's mailbox.

2) If the sender wants to be evil, he could put people into Cc header
without actually sending the mail to them. Those people never get the
mail at all then. This could even happen accidentally if the sender's
server isn't configured exactly correctly and the recipient's server
does more strict checks than dovecot.org's. Or gets treated as spam.
Or just delayed a couple of days. Or things like that.

Those are bad enough problems that I don't want to enable it for myself.

The right way to fix this would be to have a new header which tells
if you want to be Ccd in Reply-to-all replies (or Reply-to-list
replies) or not, and leave the normal private replying as it is.. But
since that requires changing the clients, it'll never happen. Wasn't
there some such feature already proposed by djb and implemented in mutt?

Anyway, changing Reply-to to the list is the only workable solution
that I can see. The few rare times when you actually want to reply
privately it should be easy enough to copy&paste the non-list address.