[Dovecot] changing the separator

Fri Oct 27 11:37:06 UTC 2006

Marten Lehmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible the change the folder separator from "." to "/"? Users
> shall be able to have folders like "Junk/aol.com/*".

There was a thread about this a couple of months ago, and the last word
from Timo was that this would ultimately be a configuration option, but
you might want to remind him - he's been really busy lately with both
dovecot and other things...:

********* Repost from thread titled "Maildir folder separator"

On 8/23/2006 Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
 > On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 18:11 -0700, Vince Valenti wrote:
 > I vote for a configuration file option.  I'm not sure how feasible it
 > would be to change the default at this point since it would break
 > everyone's existing installations.
 >
 > The Maildir++ documentation at
 > http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html shows an
 > example of a colon being the separator:
 >
 > "Can folders have subfolders, defined in a recursive fashion? The
 > answer is no. If you want to have a client with a hierarchy of
 > folders, emulate it. Pick a hierarchy separator character, say ":".
 > Then, folder foo/bar is subdirectory .foo:bar."

Oh. I was sure that it had said that '.' character was the required
separator. Guess I just assumed that because of Courier. So, since the
spec doesn't require it to be '.', I could add a configuration option
for it. Not sure if I'll do it before v1.0..

In any case the separator that is sent to clients can be different than
the real separator in disk. That way you could use some weird character
in the disk, but show user/client a nice standard '/' separator.

--

Best regards,

Charles