[Dovecot] making dovecot and exim write to one log

Zbigniew Szalbot zbyszek at szalbot.homedns.org
Fri Oct 27 12:52:19 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I am trying to force dovecot to run to the
same log as exim does. In dovecot.conf I put the exim log path
/var/log/exim/mainlog. I restarted dovecot and the process worked fine.

However at midnight exim log file is rotated and since then dovecot stops
logging to this log.

In syslog.conf I put:
mail.*                                          /var/log/exim/mainlog

And in newsyslog.conf I have:

/var/log/exim/mainlog   mailnull:mail   640  60    *    @T00  Z

I used to have an N flag next to Z but after reading the man I realized
that its job is not to inform other processes about log creation.

My qeustion is how do I set up things that dovecot and exim happily write
to one log without having to restart dovecot at midnight?

I am fairly new to FreeBSD which I use so I beg your patience with me.

Thanks!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot