[Dovecot] imap process crashing with "file mail-cache-fields.c: line 26: unreached"

JB Zimmerman jbz at ximian.com
Fri Oct 27 18:03:22 UTC 2006

Hoping someone's seen this and/or can help...heh.  I'm running the at
rpm of dovecot, version dovecot-1.0-0_27.rc10.el4.at.  I'm running it on
RHEL4, up to date.  We're using Maildir (we're upgraded from a
Courier-IMAP installation) and things are working...but...we have a few
users with very large mailboxes (not their inboxes) where they archive
stuff (200k+ messages).  When they try to read those mailboxes, the imap
server instantly drops the connection, and I get the following in the
log:

--cut--
Oct 27 11:20:11 hostname dovecot: IMAP(user): file mail-cache-fields.c:
line 26: unreached
Oct 27 11:20:11 hostname dovecot: child 27514 (imap) killed with signal
6
--cut--

host and user names changed to protect the guilty.  I have tried
increasing the imap process size max to 512, as well as doubling the
IMAP command size to 131072 (bytes)?  Neither made a difference.
*other* mailboxes on the same account work fine.  The error happens
*immediately*, not after a timeout, as soon as they select the mailbox
in their client (we're using Evolution, and have tried pine as
well...I'm working on trying other clients).  The Maildir caching
optimization settings in the conf are left to default.

Any ideas?  Many thanks.

J.B. Zimmerman