[Dovecot] "dovecot dead but subsys locked" problem

Carla Tironi Farinati carlatf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 20:13:13 UTC 2006

Hi,

Following the advice of someone really helpfull here, I just installed
Postfix/Dovecot (from rpms). I'm running CentOs 4.4. I followed this
guide:
http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_postfix_virtual_hosting

I've got two problems, a)my server is now listed as RCB, whatever that
means, I suppose that's close to spamming.
"0: Connection refused. Your IP address is blocked(Spamhaus XBL) - see
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=216.32.68.90 "

b)[root at server ssl]# /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
Stopping Dovecot Imap: [FAILED]
Starting Dovecot Imap: [ OK ]

[root at server ssl]# /etc/init.d/dovecot status
dovecot dead but subsys locked

I deleted the sybsys file and tried to restart it. It crashes and show
the error agsin. The logs don't show up anything unusual.

I also see in the logs:
Oct 25 22:50:07 server postfix/virtual[24712]: 48BA5904990:
to=<carlatf at ithaki.net>, relay=virtual, delay=1, status=deferred
(mailbox /var/spool/vmail/ithaki.net/carlatf: cannot open file: Is a
directory)
Of course it's a directory!. I created it following the guide!

I reinstalled Dovecot with the latest sources and nothing.
I also turn off SSL from dovecot's config file, nothing.

Any ideas dovecot gurus!?

Best regards,
Carla