[Dovecot] LSUB and namespaces - how to get rid of multible prefixes

Henrik Ostergaard Madsen Henrik at ostergaard.net
Sat Oct 28 12:26:18 UTC 2006

I'm using dovecot 1.0.rc7 and Squirrelmain 1.4.8 using IMAP on a Debian
3.1 Testing system, and I'm having a problem.

When Squirrelmail (or other IMAP clients) submits an LSUB "" "*%",
dovecot responds with:

Request:
A004 LSUB "" "*%"
Response:
* LSUB () "/" "INBOX.Sent"
* LSUB () "/" "INBOX.Trash"
* LSUB () "/" "INBOX.Drafts"
* LSUB () "/" "mail/Sent"
* LSUB () "/" "mail/Trash"
* LSUB () "/" "mail/Drafts"
* LSUB () "/" ".mail/Sent"
* LSUB () "/" ".mail/Trash"
* LSUB () "/" ".mail/Drafts"
* LSUB () "/" "Sent"
* LSUB () "/" "Trash"
* LSUB () "/" "Drafts"
* LSUB () "/" "INBOXSent"
* LSUB () "/" "INBOXTrash"
* LSUB () "/" "INBOXDrafts"
* LSUB () "/" "./INBOX.Sent"
* LSUB () "/" "./INBOX.Trash"
* LSUB () "/" "./INBOX.Drafts"
* LSUB () "/" "Test"
Lsub completed.

This is in spite of that only INBOX.Sent, INBOX.Trash, INBOX.Drafts and
Test actually exists.

I have tried with no explicit namespaces, only one with no prefix or with
prefix "/", and with that again and all the above prefixes marked as hidden,
but with absolutely no change in the LSUB repons.

Due to this, Squirrelmail shows up a whole bunch of folders, but only the
correct ones (without prefixes) works..

This has been the same with a few prior versions of dovecot 1.0 , but not
with dovecot 0.99. It is the same for Squirrelmail 1.4.7, but I do not think
the client matters..

Is there a setting or way to deal with this - or is it a bug?

Regards,

Henrik