[Dovecot] OT: NIS Authentication

Hauke Fath hf at spg.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Sep 4 17:08:59 EEST 2006

Am 11.08.2006 um 15:28 Uhr -0400 schrieb Jeff Graves:
>2) Configure the mail server as an NIS slave. I'm thinking that this
>will basically "copy" the user info (username, password, homedir,
>etc.) on a schedule and store it locally on the mail server (is this
>how it works?). This covers both issues - power outage and a server
>dying.

That is what we do here, both for performance and reliability reasons.

>But I've read about problems getting password sync to happen
>quickly. I'd ideally like it to happen immediately (without any
>manual intervention) but I don't think this is possible.

You are supposed to register YP slaves with the master, who then
prods the slaves to update any changed databases. The
belt-and-suspenders solution is to additionally set up a cron job on
the slave(s) that updates the yp databases every day or so with
ypxfr(8).

HTH,
	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik