[Dovecot] configuration issues / virtual users

Zbigniew Szalbot admin at szalbot.homedns.org
Wed Sep 6 15:10:21 EEST 2006

Hello,

It is my first post on this list and I hope someone will be able to help.
I have installed dovecot on FreeBSD 6.1. Everything works fine but I
wanted to create a way to accept mail to a few virual users and decied to
use and example from http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualhostingWithExim

auth = default
auth_userdb = static uid=500 gid=500 home=/home/dovecot/users/%u
auth_passdb = passwd-file /home/dovecot/passwd
auth_user = dovecot

I altered the uid and gid and made sure I have the directories ready and
passwd file ok. I altered the conf file to read the following:

   userdb static {
     # Template for settings. Can return anything a userdb could normally
     # return, eg.: uid, gid, home, mail, nice
     #
     # A few examples:
     #
     #  args = uid=500 gid=500 home=/var/mail/%u
     #  args = uid=500 gid=500 home=/home/%u mail=mbox:/home/%u/mail
nice=10
     #
     #args =
     # dovecot virtual users

auth_userdb = static uid=1003 gid=1003 home=/home/dovecot/users/%u
auth_passdb = passwd-file /home/dovecot/passwd
auth_user = dovecot

)

However, dovecot complains:

Error: Error in configuration file /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf line 752:
Unknown setting: auth_userdb

Where did I go wrong? I hope someone can help me. Thanks!

Warm regards from Poland,

Zbyszek