[Dovecot] SOLVED (sortof) Using Dovecot SASL with postfix

Jonathan Stewart jonathan at kc8onw.net
Wed Sep 6 23:49:39 EEST 2006

/dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 September 2006 11:42, Jonathan Stewart wrote:
>> I'm trying to use Dovecot SASL with postfix 2.3.3 and when trying to
>> send mail I get the debug output below.  I don't know enough about
>> whats going on to know where the problem is but something clearly is
>> not right.  I would send the configurations for postfix and dovecot
>> except they are clearly talking to each other so I kinda doubt its a
>> configuration issue.  The machine can afford to be down for an hour
>> or two at a time for testing stuff if needed.
>>
>> Sep  6 12:04:10 server postfix/smtpd[13555]: connect from
>> mobile-166-137-248-219.mycingular.net[166.137.248.219]
>> Sep  6 12:04:17 server dovecot: auth(default): client in: AUTH  1
>> PLAIN   service=smtp
>> Sep  6 12:04:17 server dovecot: auth(default): client out: CONT 1
>> Sep  6 12:04:18 server dovecot: auth(default): client in: CONT  1
>> jonathan
>> Sep  6 12:04:18 server dovecot: auth(default): plain(?): invalid
>> input
>
> Invalid input? Maybe a broken client? What's the client? You mentioned
> the Postfix version, but not Dovecot. There were some problems with
> SASL PLAIN AUTH in the 1.0-beta series.

I'm using VersaMail for the palm treo 650, and being pretty sure it was
the client now, dug into google and found someone with the same issue.
I'm now 99% sure that the problem lies with versamail rather than
postfix or dovecot.  Apparently PLAIN auth does not work but LOGIN does
work correctly.  OT can someone point me to a comparison/summary of
LOGIN versus PLAIN and whether I would be able to disable plain without
causing too many issues with other clients?  I did put a support request
in with palm so hopefully it will get fixed (ha ha :P)

Thanks,
Jonathan