[Dovecot] SSL_accept failed

OpenMacNews openmacnews at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 20:55:29 EEST 2006

hi tim,

- -- On September 9, 2006 10:28:29 AM -0700  Timothy Martin
<instanttim at mac.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm new to dovecot. I just installed it a few days ago on
> FreeBSD via the ports and got it up and running without too much
> trouble. Although yesterday I turned on the SSL/TLS features and
> tried to get secure connections to work.
>
> I don't get any error messages when launching dovecot, I saw it
> successfully create the SSL parameters after first enabling the
> feature yet I can't seem to get a successful connection. Normal non-
> ssl connections work fine.
>
> What happens:
> 	1) my client claims to be attempting the connection.
> 	2) things go on for some time with nothing happening
> 	3) finally the dovecot log pops up with these messages
> 		dovecot: Sep 09 02:25:23 Warning: imap-login: SSL_accept() syscall
> failed: EOF [x.x.x.x]
> 		dovecot: Sep 09 02:25:23 Info: imap-login: Disconnected:
> rip=x.x.x.x, lip=x.x.x.x, TLS handshake
> 		dovecot: Sep 09 02:26:23 Info: imap-login: Disconnected:
> Inactivity: rip=x.x.x.x, lip=x.x.x.x, TLS handshake
>
> FYI: I've regenerated a fresh cert and key, just for dovecot and I'm
> using Mac OS X's Mail client.

i'm running dovecot on OSX, but have previously had _similar_ troubles
that, eventually, turned out to be borked certs.

have you checked/verified the certs?

if not, take a look with:

(1) another server, if you have it
(2) mulberry MUA (mulberrymail.com) or thunderbird.  both have nice
cert view capabilities.  simply dunno if Mail.app does -- i don't use it
(3) check your certs with, e.g.:

openssl verify -verbose -issuer_checks -purpose sslserver -CAfile
'my_CA_CERT' 'my_SVR_CERT'

fwiw, there's a useful reference starting point here:

  "Certificate Management and Installation with OpenSSL"
  http://gagravarr.org/writing/openssl-certs/

hth,

richard

- --

/"\
\ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   against HTML email, vCards
/ \  & micro$oft attachments

[GPG] OpenMacNews at gmail dot com
fingerprint: 50C9 1C46 2F8F DE42 2EDB  D460 95F7 DDBD 3671 08C6