[Dovecot] Active Directory

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Mon Sep 11 21:23:55 EEST 2006

On Monday 11 September 2006 18:06, Peter Fraser wrote:

> Hi all

Hi Peter,

> I've been doing research but haven't found anything yet. Is there a
> doc to show how to get Dovecot to authenticate directly against
> active directory.

I haven't used Dovecot with Active Directory, but I wrote another
application in Python to authenticate against it. It's actually very
easy to use, because AD allows simple binds. My guess is that if you
set the following parameters in the dovecot-ldap.conf file, it should
work:

hosts = ip.address.of.active.directory.server

(Alternatively, you can use the setting "uris", and specity your AD
server as ldap://ip.address.of.active.directory.server)

auth_bind = yes

This is the most important setting. It tells Dovecot to use the username
and password supplied by the client to bind to the AD server. This way,
you don't need to have the AD server's administrator login credentials.

You should also use the parameter "auth_bind_userdn" to supply a default
template to construct the DN to use to perform the bind.

Look through the example file for more information. If you understand
LDAP, then you should be able to easily make sense of the parameters.

--
Anand