[Dovecot] Not getting new mail notification

Robert Creager Robert_Creager at LogicalChaos.org
Wed Sep 13 17:36:39 EEST 2006

Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Robert Creager wrote:
>
>> Don't think so.  I have that option checked, but it doesn't help.
>> When I run the script below on the Linux server, I get all my e-mail
>> from all my folders.  To me, this says it's a Dovecot problem (or my
>> setup/usage of it). The TB client is on a windows machine.
>>
>> cat ../bin/doveKick.sh
>
> Do the timestamps of the directories change, when you get new mail?
> Did you searched the mail archive for inotify/dnotify problems?
>
> Bye,

No, they don't change:
 From dspam  Wed Sep 13 08:32:03 2006
  Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Template1 oops
   Folder: .PostgreSQL.General/new/1158157923.13449_0.thunder.logicalch
     6091

[robert at thunder Maildir]$ ll -d .PostgreSQL.General/new
drwx------  2 robert users 8 Sep 13 07:57 .PostgreSQL.General/new/

ll -a .PostgreSQL.General/new/
total 16
drwx------  2 robert users    8 Sep 13 07:57 ./
drwx------  5 robert users 4096 Sep 13 08:01 ../
-rw-------  1 robert users 6091 Sep 13 08:32
1158157923.13449_0.thunder.logicalchaos.org

Hmmm...  I see the problem, but what is to be done about it?

I'm not using dnotify.  I tried dnotify briefly, and the problem didn't
appear to get any better, so I recompiled without - using poll now.

More thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob