[Dovecot] Dovecot using authsasld

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Sep 16 16:56:01 EEST 2006

Hi,

Trying to simplify the postfix/dovecot/saslauthd setup with less than 10
users, I was looking for some way to NOT duplicate the username/password
setup.

Currently I need to use a seperate file for dovecot as I do for saslauthd.
(One is a simple shadow-alike file, the other the sasldb)

I know that postfix 2.3 can use dovecot directly for sasl authentication,
and that would be a neat solution, but we're stuck with postfix 2.2.

I was wondering if anyone ever succeeded in making dovecot use saslauthd
for authentication so that saslauthd becomes the authoritative source for
password authentication for virtual users. (both for smtp auth as
pop3/imap)

My other idea to simplify was using something like pam_unix, but modified
to use a seperate file (not /etc/shadow) and use pam in both dovecot and
saslauthd. But I can't find something like that, pam_unix is fixed, and
pam_userdb is something I'd like to avoid.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,