[Dovecot] Dovecot using authsasld

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Sat Sep 16 21:10:01 EEST 2006

Gerard Seibert writes:

> On Saturday 16 September 2006 13:46, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>> But I found a workaround, apparently authsasld is able to authenticate
>> against dovecot IMAP using 'rimap' authentication mechanism. Sadly this
>> means I have to enable PLAIN IMAP password authentication in dovecot.
>
> Where did you find the documentation for 'rimap'? I might like to look into
> it also.

man saslauthd

I've used this method in the past to get exim to use saslauthd to
authenticate SMTP connections. I found it too messy for my taste. These
days, I tend to keep user accounts (even if it is just 20) in mysql. That
way, exim (or postfix), dovecot (or courier-imap), apache and pure-ftpd can
all make use of the same user database, and I can easily move between
postfix and exim, or courier-imap and dovecot, depending on my mood :)

Adding and removing users is made trivial by tools such as PhpMyAdmin.

--
Anand