[Dovecot] Not getting new mail notification

Robert Creager Robert_Creager at LogicalChaos.org
Sat Sep 23 20:23:59 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> No. Everything that writes to maildir uses the link() + unlink() method.
> Although if you did use Dovecot LDA, you could change the
> link()+unlink() to rename() call only in Dovecot's sources.. I'd still
> just suggest upgrading the kernel. :)

Alright.  Now running 2.6.18 kernel, and I'm getting instant
notification, but only for Inbox.  Not for any other folders (using
procmail filtering).  I have subscribed (Thunderbird client) to every
folder, and if I manually go to the folder, I get notification of the
new messages, but not until then.

Am I missing something else?

The stuff I've changed in the config file (from 1.0.rc7):

[robert at thunder Maildir]$ egrep -v '^ *(#|$)' /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
         base_dir = /var/lib/dovecot/
protocols = imaps
ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
default_mail_env = maildir:%h/Maildir
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol imap {
   imap_client_workarounds = tb-extra-mailbox-sep
}
auth default {
   mechanisms = plain
   passdb pam {