[Dovecot] Not getting new mail notification

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 25 22:57:45 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 14:39 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > However the existing protocol pretty much already makes it possible:
> > Whenever a mailbox changes, send a STATUS reply to client containing the
> > changes (messages/unread/etc. counters). This is what the clients want
> > to know anyway. I don't know if any clients actually support this,
> > probably not. No servers support this either, although I was thinking
> > about adding support for it once my mailbox list index is working.
>
> Interesting - Dovecot would then be even *further* out on the cutting
> edge... :)
>
> When you say 'the existing protocol', do you mean the
> IDLE/ENHANCED_IDLE' protocol?

I've no idea what ENHANCED_IDLE is. Some Thunderbird-specific name for
something? In any case there's no such protocol.

And yea, I mean the existing IMAP RFC which already sends STATUS replies
when asked with STATUS command. They could be sent to client when it's
IDLEing (and could be sent even when it's not).

> I think it would be great for Dovecot to support this - then it would
> simply (sic) be a matter of getting the mail clients (Thunderbird, etc)
> to support it...
>
> Any idea how much work *that* might be? Obviously, the simpler, the more
> chance of getting the devs to implement it.

The good thing with the STATUS-reply way is that the clients already are
parsing them. Most clients however seem to ignore all the untagged
events that they didn't themself request from the server.