[Dovecot] Preforming an action/trigger after a user successfully authenticates

Dan Trainor dan at v2web.com
Mon Sep 25 23:47:25 EEST 2006

Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 12:55:31PM -0700, Dan Trainor wrote:
>> What I'm ultimately wanting to do is have Dovecot preform some action, or
>> a trigger, when the user is successfully authenticated.  Even more
>> specifically, I'd like to run another SQL query to record a date/time for
>> last authenticated login.
>
> At least in PostgreSQL, you can define TRIGGERs on the SELECT's themselves.
> Of course you still don't know whether the login was successful, but this
> way you could log every login _attempt_ automatically.
>
> 	Grrty

Hi, Geert -

I think that Timo Siarainen hit the nail in the head there with the
mail_executable comment - but I can't find any documentation that says
mail_executable is actually ran depending on if the authentication was
successfull.  I guess in order to know this, it would have to be assumed
that the daemons (pop, imap, etc etc) are only ran after authentication
is verified.  I guess this makes sense, but I have not been able to find
documentation regarding this matter.

I'm really interested in mail_executable, and think that it might work
for my purposes.  But I need to pass at least one piece of identifiable
data to this command, which will then run my script, so that I can key
my action with said user account, which is stored in SQL.

I found a script on the bottom of:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/PopBSMTPAndDovecot

...which is kindof the way I want this to work.  However, I need to pass
that one piece of identifiable data, i.e. a user at domain.tld variable, in
order to play with SQL some more.

With that being said, anyone know how that might be posssible?

Thanks!
-dant