[Dovecot] fetchmail can't talk to dovecot

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Sat Sep 30 18:59:17 EEST 2006

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 17:46:16 PM +0200, io (mfioretti at mclink.it) wrote:

> I have the password stored in the browser, so I don't have to type
> it every time I check email with squirrelmail. I have looked at what
> firefox transmits thanks to the live http headers extension.
>
> The same password which, sent to squirrelmail via the form, works,
> doesn't work if I copy it (correcting urlencoding, of course) into the
> fetchmail script...

Some more details about this, after checking on the server:

When I log in via squirrelmail, with password XYX (controlled through
http headers as above) everything is fine.

dovecot.conf contains the section:

protocol imap {

}

## POP3 specific settings

protocol pop3 {
  # Support for dynamically loadable plugins. mail_plugins is a space separated
  # list of plugins to load.
  #mail_plugins =
  #mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3

}

## Authentication processes

auth_verbose = yes
auth_debug = yes
# In case of password mismatches, log the passwords and used scheme so the
# problem can be debugged. Requires auth_debug=yes to be set.
auth_debug_passwords = yes

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain digest-md5
  # passwd-like file with specified location
  passdb passwd-file {
  args = /etc/my_virtual_users
    #args =
  }
  # passwd-like file with specified location
  userdb passwd-file {
   args =  /etc/my_virtual_users
    #args =
  }

and the only (for now) line in my_virtual_users is:

login_name at the.server:{PLAIN}XYZ:5000:5000::/path/to/virtual/mailboxes

so, if I type login_name at the.server and XYZ in the squirrelmail login
window, I am accepted by dovecot.  but when I use the same parameters
via fetchmail:

poll the.server proto imap
   user login_name there with pass "XYX" is marco here keep

I am not recognized. Why? Using login_name at the.server in fetchmail,
instead of just login_name, doesn't make any difference.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I'm really going mad over this. If
you need excerpts from the log, just ask, but please tell me which
lines would be relevant.

Ciao,
	Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Non si vive se non il tempo che si ama.		   C. A. Helvetius