[Dovecot] who owns dovecot files and dirs?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 1 09:35:25 EEST 2007

On 29.3.2007, at 22.50, Stewart Dean wrote:

> ...and what permissions should they have.  I am thinking of /var/
> run/dovecot and the index directory.
> What ownership, group and permissions should they be?  Are there
> any other files/dirs created for dovecot alone (not the mail
> folders and INBOXes); if so, how should they be owned and permed?
> I had thought they were to be owned by dovecot, but it turns out
> that they should not

Dovecot opens pretty much all the configuration etc. files as root
before dropping the privileges. So in general they could all be 0600
owned by root. I don't think you should worry about that though. /var/
run/dovecot usually gets deleted at boot and Dovecot recreates them,
so whatever permission changes you do to it they'll get erased
anyway. /var/lib/dovecot then is currently created 0700, but it only
contains ssl-parameters.dat which is public data.