[Dovecot] Procmail filtering versus Dovecot LDA

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Apr 3 10:20:58 EEST 2007

Kenneth Porter schrieb:
> --On Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:55 AM -0400 Gerard
> <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I like the LDA feature in Dovecot. Procmail is a memory hog
>> with a cavorted rules configuration scheme. Its use has seriously
>> declined in favor of better products now available.
>>
>> Procmail is best left to single user status. I would never consider
>> employing it in a multi user environment, although I know it has been
>> done. Why though I fail to understand. There are better and easier
>> methods
>> available.
>
> I've been using procmail for a long time but I'm open to trying
> something else. A look at the wiki indicates that Dovecot uses a Sieve
> plugin to accomplish filtering.
>
> <http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve>
>
> What other "better and easier" methods are you referring to?

Personally, I'd also recommend checking out maildrop from the
www.courier-mta.org site.

It's used in a similar way to procmail, but has different filter syntax
(much more readable in my opinion) and causes less accidents such as
mail being in the wrong folder. Particularly the "fallthrough" behavior
of procmail's is complemented by EX_TEMPFAIL in maildrop.

Best,
Matthias Andree