[Dovecot] Problems using GFS2 and clustered dovecot

David Craigon david.craigon at griffin.com
Thu Apr 5 11:58:44 EEST 2007

I am trying to use dovecot. I've got a GFS2 shared volume on two servers
with dovecot running on both. On one server at a time, it works.

The test I am trying is to attach two mail programs (MUA) via IMAPS
(Thunderbird and Evolution as it happens). I've attached one mail
program to each IMAPS server. I am trying to move emails around in one
program (from folder to folder), and then checking it on the other
program. I'm testing in effect how it would work if my users log on
twice and end up on different servers.

I seem to suffer from never ending index file corruption:

Apr  4 16:55:49 mailstore-b dovecot:
IMAP(david at everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk): Corrupted transaction log
file
/mnt/mailstore/e/everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk/d/david/.fish/dovecot.ind
ex.log:
end_offset (284) > current sync_offset (104) Apr  4 16:55:49 mailstore-b
dovecot:
IMAP(david at everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk): broken sync positions in
index file
IMAP(david at everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk): fscking index file
IMAP(david at everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk): Fixed index file
/mnt/mailstore/e/everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk/d/david/.fish/dovecot.ind
ex:
log file sync pos 1,284 -> 1, 104
Apr  4 16:55:50 mailstore-b dovecot:
IMAP(david at everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk): Unexpected transaction log
desync with index
/mnt/mailstore/e/everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk/d/david/.fish/dovecot.ind
ex
Apr  4 16:56:18 mailstore-b dovecot:
IMAP(david at everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk): Transaction log file
/mnt/mailstore/e/everybody-loves.craigon.co.uk/d/david/.fish/dovecot.ind
ex.log:
marked corrupted

This happens pretty quickly. I can also get message duplication- if I
move a message from one server to another, I can get a message in the
original folder and the destination folder.

I am using RC28. I have tried using fcntl locking and dotlocking with
equal lack of success.

Can anyone offer any advice?

David

Griffin Information Systems Ltd
20 St Christopher's Way,
Pride Park,
Derby
DE24 8JY
www.griffin.com <http://www.griffin.com/>

Registered in England and Wales. Company Registration Number: 3676297.
VAT Number: 716604053