[Dovecot] Outlook: incoming mail lands in "sent" folder

Mark Richards mark.richards at massmicro.com
Sat Apr 7 15:37:19 EEST 2007

The first word of the subject line probably says enough and shows my
predisposition.  Actually I used to like Outlook until we switched to
IMAP, at which point my love turned to hate.

I have a single user on Outlook 2007 complaining about (a) mail "stuck"
in the outbox that is not delivered (until we reboot windows) and (b)
mail showing up in the "sent" folder that was not originated by this
user (as in "incoming mail").  Neither of these issues are consistent,
but I have seen them with my own tired eyes.

The user employs a horrific combination of Outlook and Act! (CRM with a
pathetic Outlook clone which pitifully replaces the Outlook UI).  They
also have Outlook clients on two other machines.

They have three accounts on the same server.  It's only happening on one
of them.  We've turned off Outlook "rules" completely to be certain it's
not user-induced.

The probability of these two issues being Dovecot (or SMTP for the
outgoing issue) are about as high as the existence of an orbiting
teapot, but to satisfy the user and hopefully wean them off the Outlook
drug I must show that the server isn't the culprit.  Therefore I must do
some very fine logging, but for this users' account only.

Is this level of logging possible?

	- per user
	- per function
	- excluding spam processing

Have others (perhaps countless?) encountered these same issues?

Finally, why does Outlook suck?

/m