[Dovecot] chdir failed, but requires group permissions

Brent Nesbitt Brent.Nesbitt at crusade.org
Sat Apr 7 21:56:37 EEST 2007

Thanks - I hadn't seen that before.

If I'm understanding what you're getting at, you're referring to:

  Modify mail_location setting so that the mail root directory is also the empty directory and append :INDEX=MEMORY to it.
  For example: mail_location = mbox:/var/empty:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=MEMORY

Which unfortunately, doesn't work.  Even with these settings, or putting mbox, INBOX, INDEX all in /var/mail - dovecot still fails after successful authentication with an error that it can't chdir to the mail user's home directory; which, of course, it can't - but again, it shouldn't need to.