[Dovecot] Fully virtualized w/ postfix?

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Sun Apr 8 10:22:13 EEST 2007

tquidca at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've poked through the archives and google and have not seen how do do
> this.
> Is it possible to virtualize ALL emails on a system? That is, I want
> delivery only to e.g. /var/mail/vmail/domain.tld/user/Maildir/, and for
> authentication & userdb to:
>
> 1) Try /etc/passwd, and if someone is there, automatically append the
> "default" domain, otherwise,
> 2) Authenticate off a mysql db or similar.
>
> Is this kind of "fallthrough" user lookup and auth. possible with
> dovecot? I
> assume the delivery can probably be done by just telling postfix to use
> dovecot as the local delivery agent.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> --JB

I don't know if it's what you want . . . but I recently converted our
system to a pure virtual solution using Postfix, Dovecot, OpenLDAP, and
Ldap-Account-Manager.  A minimum of configuration was needed for Postfix
and Dovecot, and now all mail, local users & otherwise, goes to
/var/mail/domain.com/username.  A single LDAP database holds it all -
and I don't have to specify each user's mail folder.  I love it when
flexible, reliable solutions work together.

Caveat - if you want to use maildrop, you DO need to specify the
mailfolder.  I'm currently looking for an alternative LDA as a direct
result of that - NOT procmail!

--
Daniel