[Dovecot] Lock file issues

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 8 12:06:27 EEST 2007

On 3.4.2007, at 21.05, Paul Hamby wrote:

> We are running 1.0.rc28 on three servers with 3 Horde/IMP boxes
> talking
> to Dovecot.  The user's home dirs are located on an NFS server
> and the indexes are stored in their Maildirs. I have mmap_disable=yes
> and lock_method=dotlock in dovecot.conf. We have not implemented
> anything to direct users to the same server as is recommended per the
> Wiki. I have been trying to avoid this, as the best way I could see to
> do
> it would be to put in an IMAP proxy (Perdition?) and I just wanted to
> keep it as simple as possible if I could.

And I guess you didn't disable attribute cache either?

> The problems we have been having are due to dovecot.*.lock files not
> being cleaned up. This issue presents itself as a user not being
> able to
> login via the webmail interface. The logfile will contain something
> similar to the following:
..
> Apr  3 08:37:51 app02 dovecot: IMAP(user): Corrupted transaction log
> file /mail_home3/j/ji/user/Maildir/dovecot.index.log: end_offset
> (23440)
>> current sync_offset (23368)
> Apr  3 08:37:51 app02 dovecot: IMAP(user): file
> mail-index-sync-update.c: line 40 (mail_index_sync_update_log_offset):
> assertion failed: (prev_offset >= map->hdr.log_file_int_offset ||
> prev_seq > map->hdr.log_file_seq)

Hmm. I guess I should change this assert to instead just log an error
and return failure, because it's what leaves the lock files lying
around.

But anyway I don't think it's a good idea to keep using this kind of
a configuration where things break all the time..