[Dovecot] Dovecot Assertion on mail server with POP3 and LDAP authentication

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Tue Apr 10 19:48:02 EEST 2007

Running two Fedora 6 systems with all the latest updates as of a week
ago.  One system is the mail server (sendmail, dovecot), the other is
the master (open)LDAP server with the mail server running a slave LDAP
instance.

The problem I'm having is the client pop3 users are frequently being
told their passwords aren't correct by their email clients (Outlook,
Eudora).  They try again, a couple times and eventually it works.  I've
seen it on my own account and when I test their accounts, occasionally
it just doesn't take the password.  I've only had this trouble since I
implemented the LDAP authentication.

Checking through the server maillog, I see the following entry:

Apr  4 08:44:38 msi2 dovecot: auth(default): dovecot-auth:
../../../libraries/liblber/io.c:491: ber_get_next: Assertion
`ber->ber_buf == ((void *)0)' failed.
Apr  4 08:44:38 msi2 dovecot: auth(default):
pam(secretuser,192.168.0.200): Child process died
Apr  4 08:44:38 msi2 dovecot: auth(default): PAM: Child 14564 died with
signal 6
Apr  4 08:44:38 msi2 dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login:
user=<secretuser>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.0.200, lip=192.168.0.11

This seems to point out that dovecot is the problem, but again, I didn't
have this trouble until I implemented the LDAP authentication.  So my
question is, anyone know a solution?  If not, anyone got a suggestion of
where I should look for more clues or support?  Or any suggestions at all?

Thanks for any help.

Following is the dovecot version and configuration

[root at msi2 ~]# dovecot --version
1.0.rc15
[root at msi2 ~]# dovecot -n
# /etc/dovecot.conf
protocols: pop3
listen:
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir: /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
pop3_client_workarounds: outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb: