[Dovecot] Convert plugin mbox to maildir has no effect

Frank Elsner Frank.Elsner at TU-Berlin.DE
Wed Apr 11 09:57:45 EEST 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:58:03 +0200 guenther wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 17:06 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 23:26 +0200, Frank Elsner wrote:
> > > Apr  8 23:13:36 seymour dovecot: IMAP(migrant): Mailbox conversion: Couldn't create mailbox directory .gnome2_private
> >
> > Maildir uses "." as hierarchy separator, so this filename is invalid.
> > I'm not sure if convert_skip_broken_mailboxes=yes should just cause
> > these to be ignored, but for now it doesn't..
>
> Just spotted the above error message (deleted previous posts already),
> and it strikes me as seriously odd.
>
> Dots in mbox file names are usually embedded (as in "dovecot.org"),
> where it makes sense, as opposed to beginning with a dot. Even worse,
> this particular name is kind of weird for a mail folder...
>
> However, this name is well known to me:
>
>   [guenther at monkey ~]$ ls -ld .gnome2_private
>   drwx------  2 guenther users 4096 Jul 21  2005 .gnome2_private/

Me Too :-)

> I'd check where the Maildir data actually is being created and what
> files are being attempted to convert. Almost looks like the Maildir dirs
> are being created in the users $HOME...

No, dovecot.conf contains

    mail_location = maildir:/home/%u/MailDir
    convert_mail = mbox:/home/%u:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
    convert_skip_broken_mailboxes = yes

--Frank Elsner