[Dovecot] New full text search indexer

Ben Winslow rain at bluecherry.net
Fri Apr 13 16:58:05 EEST 2007

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:07:58 +0300
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> gzip compression makes the uidlist still 25% smaller (total space
> 19,50%). It'd have to be used to compress the file in smaller blocks
> because zlib doesn't support quickly seeking inside the file. That would
> probably waste some space. I don't think it's worth the extra CPU time
> and complexity.

If you want to try to glue in another implementation as a quick test,
dictd (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dict) has a seekable gzip
implementation (that produces reverse-compatible files to boot.)  I
haven't looked at the actual code to see how hairy it is or how
tightly it's intertwined with the rest of dictd, though.

The manual page for dictzip has some details on the implementation.

--
Ben Winslow <rain at bluecherry.net>