[Dovecot] Duplicate E-mail Problem

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Apr 13 23:48:49 EEST 2007

Phillip T. George schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> Definitely congrats on the 1.0.0 release!
>
> Anyway, I'm having a problem, that may or may not be related to
> Dovecot.  Specifically, duplicate (and sometimes triplicate) emails are
> appearing.  These emails have exactly the same queue ID, so its not that
> they were sent multiple times.  These dup emails do not show up to me ever.
>
> Postfix is being used as the SMTP, and it hands it over to procmail.  I
> set up procmail's verbose logging feature for that user and on the
> duplicate emails that he receives, it shows only ONE write to a file for
> that specific subject of email.  Tonight / this morning I'll be tracking
> down to see if this duplicate for sure happens in IMAP.
>
> Note: Its possible that part of the problem is he leaves two IMAP
> clients open at the same time (Netscape I think).  I'm going to verify
> that with him.
>
> Any ideas?  I'm NOT trying to blame Dovecot, I'm just trying to explore
> options.  Right now its looking fairly bad for Dovecot though....I mean,
> what else is there after the mail is delivered to the appropriate place
> in the mailbox?
>
> Software versions:
> postfix 2.3.8
> procmail 3.22
> dovecot 1.0.rc28
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

Hi Phillip,
this surely gets not to dovecot, my first tip goes to procmail
read
http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#duplicate
http://pm-doc.sourceforge.net/pm-tips-body.html search  Order of the
procmail recipes
use google duplicate procmail
after all you can double mails with filters like amavis, clamsmtp
therefor your have to include  -o
receive_override_options=no_address_mappings, in master cf in the filter
lines,
after all apple mail has long list of bug with imap with double emails
too, look at you mail log and you will find the reason
- --
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards

Robert Schetterer