[Dovecot] Maildir, INDEX, and folders

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Mon Apr 16 20:41:35 EEST 2007

I'm reading the wiki et el. regarding indexes, but can't come up with a
coherent answer to the setup and what will happen. I want to take the
indexes and move them off of NFS (~/Maildir) and place in
/var/spool/dovecot/indexes, but not have to hand create everything (user
homes, mail folders)

So, I create a parent folder /var/spool/dovecot/indexes that has the
appropriate permissions for writing by all users/dovecot. If I then set:

  mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/spool/dovecot/indexes/%1u/%u

...will the dovecot daemon(s) automagically create (A) the parent user
folders (i.e. .../indexes/t/tengel/)(1), and (B) the necessary
subfolders for all the child folder indexes? (i.e.
.../tengel/.Lists.Dovecot/)

Most of the doc info seems to revolve around moving your indexes if you
use mbox, I'm a little fuzzy on what happens with Maildir when you
attempt this.

thanks!
-te

(1) in our setup, initially user's home folders are created on an admin
server -> NFS that is not the mail server, so Dovecot needs to create
the home & index folders on it's own at runtime.

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid, Inc | http://www.fluid.com