[Dovecot] Duplicate E-mail Problem

Phillip T. George Phillip at StellarDreams.com
Mon Apr 16 21:21:46 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 09:10 -0500, Phillip T. George wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm having a problem, that may or may not be related to
>> Dovecot.  Specifically, duplicate (and sometimes triplicate) emails are
>> appearing.  These emails have exactly the same queue ID, so its not that
>> they were sent multiple times.  These dup emails do not show up to me ever.
>>

> What kind of filenames do they have in maildir? Do you see anything in
> Dovecot's error logs? The only reason why Dovecot would internally
> duplicate messages is if it detects multiple filenames with same base
> name, which aren't hardlinks to each others. And that could happen if
> the maildir filenames aren't truly unique. You said you're using
> Procmail, are you sure you're not using MH filenames
> (http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir)?
>
> If that's not the problem, you can enable mail_log plugin and check if
> it logs that the client does a duplicate COPY.
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/MailLog

Ok.  Using the logging, I saw 2 entries today:
Apr 16 12:51:45 east dovecot: IMAP(user.domain.com), IP(70.177.64.93):
copy -> Spam: uid=718, msgid=<sameid at domain.com>
Apr 16 12:51:45 east dovecot: IMAP(user.domain.com), IP(70.168.68.56):
copy -> Spam: uid=718, msgid=<sameid at domain.com>

It appears that the problem is that the user has two email programs
running the same filters at the same time.  Somehow, this creates a
duplicate message.  Any clues as to why this might be?  Are there any
options that may cause this behavior to change?  I thought maybe the
options "maildir_copy_with_hardlinks" and/or
"maildir_copy_preserve_filename" may be helpful options...(they're both
set to the default of 'no').

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Phillip