[Dovecot] keeping indexes in tmpfs

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Apr 17 16:01:25 EEST 2007

Justin McAleer wrote:
> Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>> Justin McAleer wrote:
>>> I have the source mail spools on NFS as well.
>> Just asking - not looking for a flame war.  I had a miserable time
>> trying to get NFS working with just my simple LAN - I've had much
>> better results via Samba with either SMBFS or CIFS.  Off-topic - but
>> can I ask why you're using NFS?
>>
> Going back to my first mail, the long and short of it is:
>
> "However, we plan to run a cluster of these servers anyway, where we
> will keep domains/accounts going to a particular server but fail over
> to one of the others in case of an outage."
>
> We have a new Netapp, and have been running our email off NFS for
> years without problems. To be fair, we haven't needed shared storage
> before, but we spent a lot of money on reliable storage, so there the
> data stayed. What sort of problems have you run into? So far in my
> dovecot testing I haven't had any issues either.
I had issues just trying to get it to work at all.  Either portmap
wouldn't start, wouldn't share, wouldn't talk - something.  Or I'd get
it to work, and then my joke of a wiring closet would get bumped and the
clients would freeze when their connection was interrupted.  That last
was actually one of my biggest problems (admittedly not an NFS fault -
but an NFS overreaction).  When the wires were repaired NFS settled down
- but I had far more success with Samba, including automatically
restoring broken connections without having the clients re-mount and/or
re-boot.

--
Daniel