[Dovecot] Maillog rotates, but dovecot still writes logs into old logfile?

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Fri Apr 20 00:28:26 EEST 2007

Mart Pirita wrote:

> syslog_facility = mail
>
> should do the trick and log all via syslog to /var/log/maillog?

That's all you need on a modern Linux system, as the syslog facility
'mail' usually is sent to /var/log/maillog; this is the default for all
SMTP/IMAP/POP3/etc. on any Red Hat -esque system (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS).
Check your /etc/syslog.conf file.

Personally I prefer my logs discrete, and use the settings right out of
the Wiki page to /var/log/dovecot.log and the included logrotate.d/
script. Works 100%.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer