[Dovecot] Mixing MBOX and Maildir?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Sat Apr 21 19:38:03 EEST 2007

Is it possible to have some folders be mbox and some be maildir format?

Why you might ask? Sometime for diagnostics I have the Exim MTA archive
certain messages in MBOX format and then I want to copy them into an
imao folder to look at them with Thunderbird. When I used MBOX all I had
to do was copy the file into a folder and it worked. So what I'd like to
do is have a folder with a special name that is MBOX and the rest be
maildir.

Ideally have Dovecot be smart so that if the file exists then it is
assumed to be MBOX and if the directory exists then it is assumed to be
maildir. Has anyone done anything like this?