[Dovecot] Auth MD5 problem

Philipp Wollermann philipp at igowo.de
Mon Apr 23 20:46:45 EEST 2007

Hi,

Azher Amin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thnx for reply. But still confused. Dovecot says: 'Requested
> DIGEST-MD5 scheme, but we have only PLAIN-MD5'
>
> However in my configs, i have enabled the digest-md5 already:
> mechanisms = plain login cram-md5 digest-md5
>
> So why it says that we have only PLAIN-MD5 ???
> Plz seuggest ...
In your database you store the MD5 sum of your passwords. This only
allows you to use plain and login authentication, because digest-md5 and
cram-md5 can't work for technical reasons, when the passwords are
already stored as MD5 sums.
Please read here:

"With non-plaintext authentication mechanisms
<http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Mechanisms> you either have to
store the password in a mechanism-specific format (which is incompatible
with all other auth mechanisms except plaintext ones), or you'll have to
store the passwords as plaintext. For example if you're going to use
CRAM-MD5 authentication, the password needs to be in plaintext format or
in CRAM-MD5 format. If you want to allow both CRAM-MD5 and *DIGEST*-MD5,
the password must be stored in plaintext."
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/PasswordSchemes

Regards,
Philipp