[Dovecot] New install on Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 02:10:31 EEST 2007

Ok. I started with the example file and edited it as the Quick Start
suggested and here is the final working result:

wadesmart at wadesmart:~$ sudo dovecot -n
Password:
# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_extra_groups: mail
mail_location: ~/Maildir
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks: yes
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /etc/passwd.dovecot
  userdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: /etc/passwd.dovecot
wadesmart at wadesmart:~$

I was able to login in via telnet like the tutorial said.
In my Maildir/new I had 884 new messages.
The tutorial said to access the Inbox, and I did and could.
However, then my 884 messages were gone!!!
I do not understand what the heck happened.
Did I just loose all my messages?