[Dovecot] dovecot for imap

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Mon Apr 30 21:54:03 EEST 2007

If you mean the folders (as opposed to the inbox) of a user, this is the
way I understand the interaction between the subscription list and
folder displays:
1) The purpose of subscription lists is to restrict the folders
presented in the folder list.
2) I think that the default is for IMAP to look for use and use for a
subscription list. There is, on some clients, a check box to disable
subscription lists AND SHOW ALL FOLDERS, but this is, by default, set to
enable, so that the IMAP client/server interaction is to look and use a
subscription list.  This disablement configuration check box is buried 3
levels down and not easy to find.
3) Since the subscription lists under UWIMAP have a different name
(unless you've copied the content over into the name that DC is looking
for), Dovecot does not find it and does not display folders.
4) After banging around awhile, the users start laboriously checking all
the subscription boxes in order to see their folders.  In using the
subscription list to SEE folders, they are using them exactly
backwards.  What they should be doing is (in a box hidden in advanced
config) turning off subscription lists...but that's hard to find.
5) Everybody is aggravated

Since sometimes the folders displayed can weirdly not match what is in
the old subscription list OR there can be multiple subscripiton list
scattered around the user's homedir, a co-worker here had a bright
idea:  when migrating from UWIMAP, don't copy the existing subscription
list to the .subscriptions file that DC wants, instead do this:
ls -1 ~/mail > ~/mail/.subscriptions.

After migration, all users should see all folders...and the few that
actually use subscription lists to restrict what they see can be dealt
with easily.

That's how I see it...but maybe I'm getting it wrong.......