[Dovecot] Mount options and NFS: just checking...

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 14:54:59 EEST 2007

Greetings -

I'm now in the last couple of weeks before going live with Dovecot
(v1.0.3) on our revamped IMAP service.  I'd like to double-check
about the best mount options to use; could someone advise, please?

I have three separate directory trees for the message store, the
control files and the index files.  These are arranged as follows:

Message Store
     Mounted over NFS from a NetApp filer; filestore quotas are ENABLED.

Control Files
     Mounted over NFS from the NetApp filer; filestore quotas are
DISABLED.

Index Files
     Mounted on local disk; filestore quotas are DISABLED.

We will have a pair of Solaris 10 servers on which Dovecot 1.0.3 is
running.  Users are normally directed to their "preferred" server
but, if it is unavailable, will go via the other server.

Q1.  Am I right in thinking that for the Message Store and Control Files
      I should NFS-mount both of them with the "actimeo=0"?

      (Or would "noac" be better, which also turns off client write-
caching
      as well as the attribute cache?)

Q2.  Should I NFS-mount either or both of the Message Store and
Control Files
      with the "noxattr" option to turn off extended attributes?

Q3.  Which of the filestores should I mount with the "noatime" option?
      (I understand that for the filer-based NFS mounts this can be
done on the
      filer, as the option isn't available with "mount" for NFS-monted
      filestores.)

Q4.  Any other options to use/miss out?

Currently my understanding from the list and the NFS page at the Wiki
is:

A1.  Use "actimeo=0" for both Message Store and Control Files.
      No idea about the need for/impact of using "noac".

A2.  No idea.

A3.  Safe to use "noatime" for all three filestores.
      (I understand Dovecot will use utime() when needed on such
filestores,
      but am not sure if it will work on the NFS-mounted filestores
from the
      filer if access times are turned off at the filer end.)

Any thoughts, please?

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *