[Dovecot] mbox inbox default

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 1 17:13:07 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 08:58 -0500, bhayden at umn.edu wrote:
> We're an mbox environment, inboxes in /var/mail/$USER (I'll include dovecot
> -n output at the bottom of this mail). mail_location is set accordingly for
> deliver.
>
> I'd assumed that if the /var/mail/$USER file doesn't exist, dovecot would
> create it, but we've discovered from experience (and I verified it in
> mbox-storage.c) that if access(path, R_OK|W_OK) fails--as it does if the
> file doesn't exist--that dovecot defaults then to delivering in
> root_dir/inbox.

That access() check is done only if INBOX location isn't explicitly
specified.

Is this a problem only with deliver or also with imap?

>  mail_location:
> mbox:~:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/mail/.dovecot-index/%1u/%u/

Looks OK. I just tried this:

mail_location = mbox:~:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

And deliver created the file to /var/mail/ just fine.

>  mail_debug: yes

What does Dovecot show in logs when logging in / delivering the message?