[Dovecot] OpenBSD and too many open files

Quentin Garnier cube at cubidou.net
Wed Aug 1 20:01:35 EEST 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 07:52:33PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 1.8.2007, at 19.43, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>
> >FWIW, I've stopped using dovecot's kqueue code quite some time ago
> >because it would leak one fd almost every login, leading to the
> >kind of
> >situation you experience.  I wish I had the time to debug that, but
> >unfortunately...
>
> I thought this happened only with older NetBSDs. I tested it myself
> once with 3.0 (or 3.1?) and I couldn't get it to leak.

Yes, older NetBSDs.  What do you think OpenBSD is?

Nah, just kidding.  I don't remember what tests I did at the time.  I
do remember that I couldn't reproduce it as easily as I wanted to, and
the likely cause was that I was doing my tests on a kernel more recent
than the 2.0 of my prod servers.

> But yes, with some NetBSD versions it does leak one pipe per each
> died process because kqueue doesn't notice that the pipe was closed
> by the other side and give an event, or something like that.

Which does look like what is experienced here.  Now, I don't know if we
can locate easily what fix needs to be applied to OpenBSD.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube at cubidou.net - cube at NetBSD.org
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks