[Dovecot] Dovecot strong or not for a big Webmail architecture

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Aug 2 22:19:29 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 19:06 +0000, John fistack wrote:
> For millions of user it could be multiple different clusters of 40 Dovecot servers with 1 Netapp for each cluster.
> I want to work in NFS.

You'll want to read at least http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS. Dovecot v1.1
makes problems with attribute/data caches go away.

> I know webmail.us use Dovecot, what is the most big dovecot architecture known ?

Portugal Telecom is the largest installation I know of. They use NFS +
Netapps also.

> Are cyrus or courrier-imap better solutions ?

Cyrus doesn't work properly with NFS and I don't think Courier has any
advantages over Dovecot.