[Dovecot] IDLE with inotify problem

Michael Guntsche mike at it-loops.com
Sun Aug 12 18:20:05 EEST 2007

Hi,

I recently switched from courier imap to dovecot. With courier I had
a working IDLE setup that informed me immediately when new mail
arrived. With Dovecot it is different, sometimes i get an immediate
result but most of the time it takes a rather long time for the
notification to return to the client.
For testing purposes I set mailbox_idle_check_interval = 1 and i now
get the same behaviour as with couier (a new mail immediately causes
a notification) but i am not sure that this is the right solution.
Reading the comments in the config files I was under the impression
that this is not needed if dovecot uses inotify.

Setup:
Kernel 2.6.22.1 with inotify

dovecot 1.0.3 from debian unstable
Build options: ioloop=epoll notify=inotify ipv6 openssl

So my question is can I check that dovecot is actually using inotify?

Kind regards,
Michael