[Dovecot] use of deliver from procmail advisable?

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Tue Aug 14 19:33:37 EEST 2007

On Tuesday, August 14 at 04:38 PM, quoth martin f krafft:
>I understand that dovecot's deliver does a little more than deliver:

It also understands the 'seive' filter language (an alternative to
procmail).

>What do you think will be less resource-heavy: calling deliver for
>every mail received *in addition to* procmail, or letting the IMAP
>server update the metadata on access?

Unless you're cutting it close to the limit on what your server can
handle, that's probably the wrong question to ask. A better question
is: which gives my users better performance? And the answer to THAT is
'using deliver'. The issue is that updating the metadata on access
means that dovecot does more work when your users ask for their mail,
as opposed to doing more work when your users aren't paying attention.
Dovecot will *seem* snappier if you do the indexing work on delivery
rather than on access, even though it may spend more CPU cycles
overall to do so.

~Kyle
--
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself
into in the first place.