[Dovecot] use of deliver from procmail advisable?

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Tue Aug 14 21:13:52 EEST 2007

On Tuesday, August 14 at 07:03 PM, quoth martin f krafft:
>> It also understands the 'seive' filter language (an alternative to
>> procmail).
>
>I don't consider it an alternative to procmail because you cannot
>pass mail to external programmes, like spamassassin or vacation.
>Sure, sieve has its own vacation module, but I find that to be
>rather limited. See this thread:
>
>  http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-August/024686.html

Well, the whole point of sieve, I believe, is to make it something
that an admin would want to let arbitrary users modify on their own
recognizance, and the ability to specify arbitrary programs to run
would be just *asking* to be hacked.

But I understand your desire there. At that point, I'd say the heck
with it, just use procmail and don't worry about deliver. That's what
I do, and my users are all impressed with dovecot's snappiness,
irregardless of (or despite) its indexing. In a word: don't solve a
problem that doesn't exist. :)

~Kyle
--
Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice
of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of